* CaliSolar Inc., a Sunnyvale, Calif.-based developer of solar cells using “dirty” metallurgical grade silicon, has raised $51.9 million in Series B preferred stock funding. It also has secured another $50 million in convertible securities, for a round total of nearly $102 million. Hudson Clean Energy led the round, and was joined by return backers Advanced Technology Ventures and Globespan Capital Partners. Prior press reports say that the company plans to build a commercial plant in California next year. It had previously raised around $9 million. www.calisolar.com
* Sriya Innovations Inc., a Marietta, Ga.-based biorefinery startup, has raised $15 million in Series A funding. Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers led the round with partners Ajit Nazere and Bill Joy taking board seats.
* WiChorus Inc., a San Jose, Calif.-based developer of 4G core infrastructure products, has raised $18 million in Series C funding. Return backers include Accel Partners, Mayfield Fund and Redpoint Ventures. The company has now raised over $40 million in total funding. www.wichorus.com
* Xtalic, a Marlborough, Mass.-based developer of nanostructured alloys for corrosion and wear resistance, has raised around $10 million in Series B funding. Backers include Matrix Partners and North Bridge Venture Partners. It had previously raised $5.1 million. www.xtalic.com
* Permuto Inc., a Palo Alto, Calif.-based stealth startup focused on helping users promote their websites or applications, has raised $6.03 million in Series A funding. Backers include Onset Ventures and Rembrandt Venture Partners. The company is led by Shaukat Shamim, former co-founder and CTO of Rhythm NewMedia who currently serves as a venture advisor with Rembrandt. Other company co-founders include Navdeep Saini, former VP of engineering for Yahoo’s search marketing group, and Stanley Wong, former VP of Search Physics Inc. www.permuto.com
* EvoStor Inc., a Los Gatos, Calif.-based storage software startup, has raised $5 million in Series A funding. Backers include Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, Starfish Technology Fund and Southern Cross Group. www.evostor.com
* Nanostim Inc., a San Clemente, Calif.-based developer of miniaturized, leadless cardiac pacemakers, has raised $9.7 million in Series A funding. Backers include InterWest Partners and U.S. Venture Partners.
* Cebix Inc., a La Jolla, Calif.-based biopharma startup, has raised $2.85 million in Series A funding. Backers include HealthCap and Sofinnova Ventures. The company does not have a website.