The round was joined by existing investors Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Foundation Capital and Lux Capital, bringing the company’s funding to $38 million.
Transphorm hopes to transform energy conservation by recouping the 10% of all electricity lost when power is converted from one form to another. The Goleta, Calif., company does this with the use of gallium nitride components, which switch power at higher frequencies and therefore more efficiently.
Transphorm boasts that its power conversion modules will reduce 90% of the losses.
The formerly stealth company plans to demonstrate its products at the Applied Power Electronics Conference in Texas in March. Products are expected to roll out by the end of the year.
- Google Ventures Leads Funding Round For Anti Malware Startup Dasient
- Miso Media Closes $600,000 Seed Round Led By Google Ventures
- Austin Ventures Leads $14 Mln Funding Round for Lincoln Renewable
- Edison Ventures Leads $5.5 Mln Funding Round for NetProspex
- Steamboat Ventures Leads Funding Round for Gridsum Tech