* Bain Capital’s Steve Pagliuca is strongly considering a bid to succeed Ted Kennedy. Pagliuca is a Democrat, as evidenced by the fact that he was one of the only Bain bigs who didn’t donate to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign. That also means he actually has a chance to win in Massachusetts.
* Farhad Manjoo: America can’t remain the world’s tech leader without immigration reform.
* Stephen Mihm: Why capitalism fails.
* Andrew Bennett: How my technology career helped my fly-fishing business.
* VCs are keeping young startups to themselves, as first-round syndications are on the downswing.
* Newsweek says Jaime Dimon is America’s most important banker.
* I was on a VC media panel earlier this year in Colorado, and each of us were asked to name the most promising VC-backed company out there. Two panelists answered smart-grid company Silver Spring Networks. Here is CEO Scott Lang talking about how his company’s technology works, from the Reuters Global Climate and Alternative Energy Summit: