Acquia, the Massachusetts-based social publishing system, closed a $15 million Series D investment round from Tenaya Capital, Northbridge Venture Partners and Sigma Partners. Brian Paul, Managing Partner of Tenaya Capital, will join Acquia’s board of directors. Other specifics of the transaction were not publicized.
WOBURN, MA–(Jul 20, 2011) – Acquia, the leading provider of commercial solutions for Drupal, has completed a $15 million Series D financing round. Tenaya Capital joined the round, along with significant follow-on participation by existing investors Northbridge Venture Partners and Sigma Partners.
Acquia will use the additional funds to accelerate growth, expand internationally — particularly in Europe, further invest in sales and marketing, and drive the adoption of Drupal-built websites across the globe. As a result of the new investment, Brian Paul, Managing Partner of Tenaya Capital, will join Acquia’s board of directors.
“We are seeing rapid growth at Acquia globally as enterprise demand for social business, web content management and Drupal cloud solutions explodes and fuels our business,” said Tom Erickson, CEO of Acquia. “We are grateful for the ongoing support of our investment partners Northbridge and Sigma and are thrilled to have Tenaya Capital join our efforts.”
Acquia has made significant progress over the last 12 months growing revenue 225% year over year and tripling its customer base from 550 to more than 1,500 in an eight month period. Its client roster includes some of the world’s leading organizations such as Twitter, Al Jazeera, Mercedes-Benz, Stanford University, Intuit, and US Department of Defense. Acquia grew its partner ecosystem from 220 to more than 260 within the last year, adding partners such as VML, Engine Yard, and Alfresco. More than 2% of all web sites in the world are built on Drupal.
“We have invested in Acquia because they possess a number of key ingredients for success — a top notch management team, impressive market traction and momentum, and unparalleled expertise in a number of important areas including Drupal, social web, and the cloud. Acquia is bringing open source web content management to the enterprise,” said Brian Paul, Tenaya Capital. “We believe Acquia is extremely well positioned to exploit a high growth market opportunity.”
Since the company launch in 2008, Acquia has successfully brought to market the following products, services and support to help enterprises more easily and cost effectively use Drupal’s open source social publishing platform:
• Acquia Network — a subscription service that provides learning and productivity tools, and support for professionals who build and manage Drupal-based websites. Subscription levels escalate from basic site monitoring to 24×7 enterprise-level support. All subscriptions include site-improvement tools such as Acquia Search, Mobify for mobile interface design, Mollom for automated spam blocking, and New Relic for performance monitoring.
• Acquia Commons — a ready-to-use “social as a service” solution to quickly create engaging community websites with more options, better flexibility, and faster time to deployment than any other social software solution on the market. Designed from best practices deployed on thousands of Drupal-based community sites, Acquia Commons has quickly established itself as the open source alternative to expensive proprietary systems. Since its launch last year, Commons has been downloaded 17,000 times.
• Acquia Cloud — a Drupal optimized Platform-as-a-Service cloud hosting offering with more than 450 customers and serving more than 4.5 billion http requests per month.
• Drupal Gardens — a Drupal-as-a-Service platform that makes building and contributing to Drupal websites easier and fast, with a library of site templates and packaged themes. Drupal Gardens sites have grown from 24,000 to 55,000 within an eight month period.
About Acquia™, the enterprise guide to Drupal
Acquia empowers enterprises with the open source Drupal social publishing system. Co-founded by Drupal’s creator in 2008, Acquia helps customers manage their growth and scale their online properties with confidence. Acquia’s products, cloud infrastructure, and support enable companies to realize the full power of Drupal while minimizing risk. For more information, please visitwww.acquia.com or call 888-9-ACQUIA.
All logos, company and product names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
Find new deal opportunities, super-charge your fundraising efforts and track top managers with VCJ. Get your FREE trial! Or subscribe now!
Take your pick!
- Buyouts delivers exclusive news and analysis about private equity deals, fundraising, top-quartile managers and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.
- VC Journal provides exclusive news and analysis about venture capital deals, fundraising, top-quartile investors and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.