It is unusual but not unheard of for a venture capital or private equity firm to hire an in-house recruiter. It can also be common for the HR department of a private equity firm to include recruiting for the portfolio as part of its responsibilities.
One of the main roles of an in-house recruiter or HR professional may be to manage search firms and recruitment agencies as well as provide search services themselves. By coordinating in this way, some savings can be made on costs but also and, more importantly, their focus can speed up the recruitment process and make sure the recruitment need is properly specified, resulting in getting the right person into the role more quickly.
A recent appointment in this field was announced this week by Dallas-based private equity firm Teakwood Capital, which has just hired a managing director for talent. Mike Taylor will be responsible for hiring and retaining the right professionals for the buyout firm’s portfolio companies. Taylor boasts over 30 years’ experience in executive search and coaching within the technology and software sectors, having assisted Technology Crossover Ventures, Austin Ventures, and Battery Ventures in the private equity/venture capital realm as well as corporate names such as Solarc, Samsung, Freescale Semiconductor and GENBAND.
Taylor spent his last three years as a search partner at Cabot Consultants, where he helped open the Dallas office for the Washington, D.C. based firm in early 2009. Prior to that, he was a partner at Heidrick & Struggles for six years. There he developed the private equity/venture capital practice for both its inaugural Austin office as well as one in Dallas.
If Taylor’s career path appeals to you, then this week’s job of the week may well be the position you’ve been waiting for. Scroll down to find out more.
***Job of the Week***
Job Title: Recruiter and Sourcer
Firm: Sequoia Capital
Salary: Not specified
Location: San Francisco, California, US
Firm Description: Californian venture capital firm located on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park and with offices in China, India and Israel. Sequoia has funded companies including Apple, Aruba Networks, Google, YouTube, PayPal, Cisco Systems, Oracle, Electronic Arts, Yahoo!, NVIDIA, Navigenics, Cotendo, Atari, Zappos and LinkedIn.
Job Description (as cited by Sequoia Capital): Sequoia is accepting Recruiter & Sourcer resumes on behalf of its portfolio companies. The successful candidate will be the first, and perhaps only, recruiting professional on the team. The recruiter will be tasked with setting up the entire recruitment process start-to-finish and building out the candidate pipeline.
Responsibilities (as cited by Sequoia Capital):
Work with hiring managers to understanding hiring needs and develop/execute sourcing and recruiting plans.
• Manage full-cycle recruiting process, ensuring a smooth and positive candidate experience.
• Improve the company careers page; create and post job descriptions.
• Source and assess qualified candidates through candidate referrals, employee referrals, networking and web sourcing.
• Coordinate and implement college recruiting initiatives.
• Facilitate interview and hiring discussions with interviewers and hiring managers.
• Drive offer process – including extending offers, closing candidates, and generating offer letters.
• Work with HR or administrative team to recruit new hires.
Qualifications (as cited by Sequoia Capital):
• Previous start-up experience preferred. If no start-up experience, then must have at least worked at tech companies.
• Three plus years full-cycle recruiting or sourcing experience; ideally focused on technical positions.
• Familiarity with applicant tracking systems.
• Must be local to bay area.
To apply click here
For more private equity job opportunities head over to the peHUB career center, co-hosted with eFinancialCareers.com.
Take your pick!
- Buyouts delivers exclusive news and analysis about private equity deals, fundraising, top-quartile managers and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.
- VC Journal provides exclusive news and analysis about venture capital deals, fundraising, top-quartile investors and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.