Competition for the best deals is fierce and a career in private equity in the region is not for the fainthearted. But if you think you have the connections and what it takes to make a mark on the Indian private equity market then this week’s job posting for the head of a private equity fund within the region may be for you.
According to data from Thomson Reuters, venture investments have traditionally dominated the Indian market, accounting for $1.37 billion of the $2.8 billion invested in 2011. This was invested in 194 deals out of a 264 total. To date in 2012 venture deals have already notched up a value of $743.21 million in 99 deals out of a $1.175 billion total deal value in 132 transactions so far this year.
In contrast, buyouts have reached $170 million in 15 deals so far this year. This compares with $514.7 million in 27 deals for full year 2011, according to figures from Thomson Reuters.
According to research firm Venture Intelligence, there were five private equity investments worth over $100 million during Q3 2011, with three of them over $200 million. Some of the largest investments during the period included Blackstone Group -owned Sithe Global Power’s $261 million investment in SKS Chhattisgarh Power Generation; Blackstone Group’s direct $111 million investment in Visa Power and Goldman Sachs’s $202.24 million commitment to ReNew Wind Power.
Accel Partners, Canaan Partners and Tiger Global Management’s $170 million investment in Flipkart Online Services Pvt is so far the largest deal to date in 2012, according to data from Thomson Reuters.
This week’s position is an opportunity to help grow an international investment firm that wants to make a difference in emerging markets. The firm is looking for a leader in the Indian investment and financial services communities.
If this appeals to you and your skillsets, scroll down to find out more.
***Job of the Week***
Job Title: Head of India
Firm: LeapFrog Investments
Firm Description: LeapFrog is a $135 million fund which targets both financial and social returns. The firm invests in businesses that enhance security to the poor and financially excluded, partnering with local and international players to support expansion of insurance products and financial services. The firm’s mission is to achieve robust returns from emerging markets in Asia and Africa, while providing 25 million low-income people with financial safety nets. LeapFrog’s investors include global banks, funds and reinsurers. In three years, via its portfolio companies, LeapFrog has reached out to over 8.6 million people. South Asia is a key area of focus for LeapFrog, most notably for its $15 million investment in the distribution arm of the Shriram Group.
Job Description (as cited via LeapFrog website): LeapFrog is recruiting an entrepreneurial leader with strong connections in the Indian financial services market and who has operated at the highest level of industry. The successful applicant will be responsible for building and leading LeapFrog’s India office to complement its existing offices in the UK, USA, South Africa and Australia. The successful candidate will also co-design and lead the firm’s strategic expansion across South Asia in the years ahead.
As a partner, the head of India will work closely with LeapFrog’s global team, particularly the UK team that has been managing investments in South Asia to date, to build local infrastructure and develop a high class team of investment and operations professionals. The role will involve identifing, investing in, and growing a unique portfolio of risk carriers, financial distributors and service providers that are commercially successful in serving people at the lower end of the economic pyramid – the vast majority of India’s population.
A typical day’s work would entail industry analysis, sourcing, valuation, structuring, transaction execution, as well as input to portfolio companies at board level and below, ongoing investment monitoring, and preparation for exit. A major part of the role will be an entrepreneurial one – including engaging with potential and current portfolio companies on how LeapFrog can add value.
The successful candidate will be located in Mumbai and will collaborate with LeapFrog’s teams in South Africa, the UK, Australia, and the USA.
Qualifications/Experience (as cited via LeapFrog website):
– At least 10 years’ experience in senior-level financial services operational or private equity and venture capital roles.
– The ability to connect with leading players in and beyond India, based on a well-established network.
– Demonstrated leadership and a strong degree from a top-tier academic institution.
– Excellent communication skills and a high level of comfort in a variety of cultural settings.
– A systematic approach to seeking out opportunities and closing transactions.
– The vision and core values required to represent and expand LeapFrog’s brand and impact in South Asia.
– The empathy and entrepreneurialism needed to build a dynamic and diverse team.
– Comfort with fast-moving and hands-on work environments in multiple geographies.
– A passion for having a significant social impact.
– A willingness to travel internationally.
For more private equity job opportunities head over to the peHUB career center, co-hosted with eFinancialCareers.com.
Image credit: Photo of man leaping mid-air courtesy of Shutterstock
Take your pick!
- Buyouts delivers exclusive news and analysis about private equity deals, fundraising, top-quartile managers and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.
- VC Journal provides exclusive news and analysis about venture capital deals, fundraising, top-quartile investors and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.