57 Stars is an independent asset manager focused on investing in primary and secondary private equity partnerships and co-investments in select markets outside the United States, primarily in emerging markets.
The firm has offices in Washington DC, Singapore, Munich, São Paulo, and San Diego and has over $1.5 billion under management; investors include US pensions, foundations, family offices, and sovereign entities. The firm’s investment team has more than 100 years of combined experience in emerging markets and has worked together for more than 12 years.
Some background information if you are thinking of applying for this position: The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) is invested in the 2007 vintage 57 Stars Global Opportunities Fund and also the 2009 vintage 57 Stars Global Opportunities Fund 2, which have generated 8.7 percent and 5 percent IRRs, respectively, as of March 31, 2012, according to CalPERS.
Top performers within the 57 Stars portfolios include the 2007 vintage DLJ South American Partners, which generated a 39.6 percent IRR; the 2009 vintage New Horizon Capital III, which posted a 24.5 percent IRR, and Actera Partners which generated a 22.7 percent IRR for the period, according to CalPERS most recent performance report.
57 Stars boasts an “entrepreneurial, open, and collegial environment.” The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with the design and execution of marketing plans with regards to both fundraising and investor relations and will work closely with 57 Stars’s senior management to develop and maintain relationships with prospective and existing investors. The position involves some domestic and international travel.
If you think you could fit the bill and would like to join this all star team then scroll down below to find out more about the requirements for this role.
***Job of the Week***
Job Title: Senior Associate, Investor Relations
Firm: 57 Stars
Location: Washington D.C.
Salary (As cited via Emerging Markets Private Equity Association): 57 Stars pays a competitive salary along with an annual discretionary bonus based on employee performance. Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance. 57 Stars offers company-paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, as well as a generous 401(k) match.
Job Description (as cited via Emerging Markets Private Equity Association website):
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Identifying and targeting key investors for fundraising, including corporate pension funds, public pension plans, endowments, foundations, and other institutional investors globally;
• Initiating and executing the capital raising cycle from initial contact to closing on 57 Stars products, both through direct contact with prospective investors, and by coordinating the contacts of other 57 Stars’ staff with prospective investors;
• Interfacing with placement agents retained by 57 Stars to raise capital;
• Preparing and updating fundraising materials, including investor presentations, research reports, and due diligence questionnaires;
• Responding to requests for information and requests for proposals from existing and potential investors;
• Communicating with, and attending meetings with, prospective investors and consultants in Washington and outside of the office;
• Coordinating communications with existing investors through a regular calling plan, written communications, and reporting;
• Assisting with the planning and execution of the firm’s annual meeting for investors;
• Maintaining the firm’s profile by coordinating, and participating directly in, the firm’s attendance at conferences, speaking engagements, educational seminars, etc.;
• Assisting in increasing the awareness of 57 Stars in the market, including through preparation of press releases; and
• Coordinating, managing and working with the firm’s staff to design and develop product materials, and other investor-focused materials and reports.
Qualifications (as cited via Emerging Markets Private Equity Association website):
• Four-year college degree;
• Minimum of two years of relevant experience, preferably with a private equity firm, placement agent, investment bank or other financial services firm;
• Highly professional appearance and manner;
• Self-starter with an ability to work independently;
• Strong work ethic, excellent organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task;
• Excellent follow-up skills;
• Well developed oral and written communication skills;
• Solid background in creating and editing client presentations, including use of MS PowerPoint;
• Flexibility to work longer hours on occasion; and
• Ability to excel in fast-paced environment.
The above requirements are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Alicia Rindge at email@example.com. Please specify “Senior Associate – Investor Relations” in subject line. 57 Stars conducts a thorough background check that includes: credit, criminal, motor vehicle history, confirmation of education, and employment history.
For more private equity job opportunities head over to the peHUB career center, co-hosted with eFinancialCareers.com.
Image credit: Photo of telescope and stars courtesy of Shutterstock
Take your pick!
- Buyouts delivers exclusive news and analysis about private equity deals, fundraising, top-quartile managers and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.
- VC Journal provides exclusive news and analysis about venture capital deals, fundraising, top-quartile investors and more. Get your FREE trial or subscribe now.