Pattern Energy, PSP close acquisition of Meikle wind facility

Pattern Energy Group Inc (Nasdaq, TSX: PEGI) has closed its buy of a 51 percent interest in the 179 megawatt Meikle wind power facility in the Peace region of British Columbia. The San Francisco power company paid US$68 million for the stake. The remaining 49 percent was acquired by Canada’s Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments). In June, PSP Investments agreed to co-invest US$500 million in projects acquired by Pattern, including the Meikle facility. Pattern Energy Group LP, Pattern’s main shareholder, is backed by U.S. private equity firm Riverstone Holdings.

PRESS RELEASE

Pattern Energy Completes Acquisition of 51% of 179 MW Meikle Wind Power Facility

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ — Pattern Energy Group Inc. (Nasdaq & TSX: PEGI) (“Pattern Energy” or the “Company”), today announced it has completed the acquisition of a 51% interest in the 179 MW Meikle Wind facility from Pattern Energy Group LP (“Pattern Development 1.0”) for $68 million1, which represents a 10x multiple of the five-year average cash available for distribution2 (“CAFD”). The Public Sector Pension Investment Board (“PSP Investments”) acquired the remaining 49%.

“Completing the acquisition of Meikle Wind adds British Columbia’s largest wind power facility to our portfolio and is one of the first initiatives in our new strategic relationship with PSP Investments,” said Mike Garland, Chief Executive Officer of Pattern Energy. “Meikle is an excellent addition to our portfolio, providing a strong addition to our CAFD2 with a long-term revenue stream from its 25-year PPA. PSP Investments’ acquisition of the remaining 49% stake in Meikle demonstrates their confidence in our business model and investment decisions.”

The purchase price of the Meikle Wind acquisition was funded from available cash and draws under the Company’s revolving credit facility.

Meikle Wind commenced commercial operations in the first quarter of 2017 and operates under a 25-year power purchase agreement with BC Hydro, which has a AAA/Aaa credit rating.

Located in the Peace River Regional District of British Columbia, Canada, the 179 MW Meikle Wind facility consists of 61 GE wind turbines, including 35 3.2 MW turbines and 26 2.75 MW turbines.

About Pattern Energy
Pattern Energy Group Inc. (Pattern Energy) is an independent power company listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market and Toronto Stock Exchange. Pattern Energy has a portfolio of 20 wind power facilities, including one project it has agreed to acquire, with a total owned interest of 2,736 MW in the United States, Canada and Chile that use proven, best-in-class technology. Pattern Energy’s wind power facilities generate stable long-term cash flows in attractive markets and provide a solid foundation for the continued growth of the business. For more information, visit www.patternenergy.com.

1)
Based on a CAD to USD exchange rate of $1.27
2)
This forward looking measure of five-year average annual purchase price multiple of cash available for distribution (CAFD) contribution from the Meikle Wind facility is a non-GAAP measure that cannot be reconciled to net cash provided by operating activities as the most directly comparable GAAP financial measure without unreasonable effort primarily because of the uncertainties involved in estimating forward-looking changes in working capital balances which are added to earnings to arrive at cash provided by operations and subtracted therefrom to arrive at CAFD. A description of the adjustments to determine CAFD can be found on page 60 of Pattern Energy’s 2016 Annual Report on Form 10-K.

Contacts:
Media Relations
Matt Dallas
917-363-1333
matt.dallas@patternenergy.com
Investor Relations
Ross Marshall
416-526-1563
ross.marshall@loderockadvisors.com

Photo courtesy of Pattern Energy Group Inc