Greentech Capital Advisors has launched as an investment bank focused on the alternative energy and cleantech sectors. Its founder is Jeff McDermott, former joint global head of I-banking at UBS.
We’ve done a separate post on Greentech, which you can find here.
Greentech Capital Advisors, LLC, the only dedicated alternative energy and cleantech focused investment bank, today formally launched the firm, announcing a unique and significant set of capabilities and senior professionals.
The firm’s singular focus on the alternative energy space, a dynamic and expanding sector driven by climate change, fills the need for a pure-play advisory firm dedicated to alternative energy and cleantech companies.
Jeffrey A. McDermott, a 25-year banking veteran and former Joint Global Head of UBS Investment Banking and founder of Greentech Capital Advisors said, “For these companies to thrive, and for America to transition to a cleaner and more energy efficient economy, there is a need for a dedicated team of experienced bankers. Alternative energy and cleantech companies need bankers with deep industry knowledge, a wide array of product skills, and relationships with large industrial, power and utility companies who are the ultimate customers, strategic partners and consolidators for these companies. Our comprehensive expertise and unique composition of experts will help clients grow and succeed.”
Richard L. Kauffman, Chief Executive Officer of Good Energies, Inc, a leading global investor in renewable energy and energy efficiency industries, said, “After many years, the renewable energy sector is finally growing up. The sector needs capital and good advice.”
Greentech Capital Advisors offers clients a comprehensive set of capabilities across the project finance, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions markets, with a blue chip roster of partners with significant expertise in each of these areas:
- Robert A. Schultz, Chief Operating Officer, with an over 20 year track record of building and managing infrastructure. He is a former MD and COO at Morgan Stanley Fund Services.
- Timothy F. Vincent has joined to lead the firm’s project finance business. Prior to joining, he was at Goldman Sachs as a Managing Director covering Infrastructure clients and previously he was a Managing Director and Joint Head of Project Finance in North America for BNP Paribas. Vincent said, “Developers and investors in today’s alternative energy sector are having difficulty navigating an unprecedented market disruption in the project finance debt markets. Greentech Capital Advisors is well-positioned to help clients secure cost-effective funding from a variety of sources to ensure the long-term viability of their projects.”
- Michael J. Molnar has joined Greentech Capital Advisors from Goldman Sachs, where he was the lead equity research analyst on the US alternative energy and coal sectors.
Molnar said, “The alternative energy sector is challenging given the uncertain and dynamic nature of the industry drivers. Thinking about value creation in an era of volatile fossil fuel prices, varying new technology cost curves, differing regional regulations, changing government policies and uncertain financing potential is very complex. At Greentech Capital Advisors, our industry knowledge, experience and analytics are the foundation from which we add value to our clients.”
- Craig J. Wellen has joined the firm, having over a decade’s experience as a power and utility sector banker, most recently as a senior banker at Citi. While at Citi, Craig was responsible for originating and executing strategic M&A transactions and capital raisings for numerous North American utilities, infrastructure funds and multinational energy companies.
“Current initiatives to control climate change and greenhouse gas emissions represent a fundamental policy shift that will reshape the power and utility sector,” said Wellen. “We look forward to working closely with our power and utility clients to understand the implications of this transformative change and to identify related business opportunities that will enhance shareholder value.”
- R. Andrew de Pass, founder and former head of Citi’s Sustainable Development Investments (“SDI”), has joined Greentech Capital Advisors as a Senior Advisor and will be responsible for developing and leading the firm’s private equity investing business. Olav Junttila, who worked as an investment principal with Andrew at SDI, has also joined the firm.
“We believe Greentech Capital Advisors will be uniquely positioned to build a successful growth private equity investing business given the combination of the firm’s deep sector knowledge with our extensive investing experience and relationships. We intend to invest alongside our clients to help them achieve their goals,” de Pass said. “In addition, we will augment the advisory practice by sharing our hands-on experience as private equity investors in the alternative energy and cleantech sectors.”
About Greentech Capital Advisors:
Greentech Capital Advisors provides financial advisory services, including buy-side and sell-side M&A, exclusive sale transactions, restructurings, private placements and project finance advisory to companies engaged in alternative energy, energy efficiency, transmission and distribution infrastructure, sustainable materials and products, waste management, recycling and water efficiency. The firm’s dedicated focus enables us to develop deep industry knowledge and provide thoughtful and thorough advice. For additional information, please visit www.greentechca.com