HarbourVest Partners has announced a slew of promotions. Among them are Nate Bishop, Carolina Espinal and Aris Hatch to managing director. The firm has also promoted seven staffers to principals and one to senior vice president.
12 November 2015 – HarbourVest Partners, LLC (“HarbourVest” or the “Firm”), a global private markets investment specialist, today announced the promotions of Nate Bishop, Carolina Espinal and Aris Hatch to Managing Director, as well as the promotion of eight senior professionals worldwide.
“As a firm, we are extremely proud of the team we have in place. At every level, promotions reflect a clear and demonstrated commitment to our clients – to support their investment goals, protect and drive value, and further strengthen businesses across the globe,” said Peter Wilson, Managing Director. “The HarbourVest team today is as strong as ever and we are proud to be in a position to reward the excellence and significant professional contribution of our senior talent.”
· Nate Bishop, promoted to Managing Director, Boston. Nate focuses on coordinating, monitoring, and enhancing relationships with new and existing North America -based investors and consultants. Since joining the firm in 2008, he has been instrumental in developing strategic relationships throughout the investor and consultant community. Nate was previously with Meketa Investment Group.
· Carolina Espinal, promoted to Managing Director, London. Carolina focuses on evaluating and monitoring European venture capital and buyout fund investments and has collaborated with the secondary group on several investment opportunities. She joined HarbourVest in 2004 and currently serves on the advisory boards of funds managed by Abénex Capital, ECI, Inflexion, and Holtzbrinck Ventures.
· Aris Hatch, promoted to Managing Director, Boston. Aris coordinates, monitors and enhances relationships with new and existing North American investors and consultants. She also manages HarbourVest’s custom solutions business. She joined HarbourVest in 2008 from Rock Maple Funds, a multi-strategy fund-of-hedge funds manager.
· Francisco Arboleda, promoted to Principal, Bogotá. Francisco focuses on fund investments and direct co-investments in Latin America and actively participates on many Latin American manager Advisory Boards. Francisco joined HarbourVest in 2011 from Porvenir – the largest pension fund in Colombia.
· Alex Barker, promoted to Principal, London. Alex focuses on European and emerging markets venture capital and buyout fund investments with a concentration on opportunity sourcing in the French, Nordic, Italian, and Benelux markets. He participates on the Advisory Boards of a variety of funds, including partnerships managed by Permira, InvestIndustrial, Chequers, and BDC. Alex joined HarbourVest in 2010 from Hermes GPE.
· Minjun Chung, promoted to Principal. Minjun joined HarbourVest in 2011 and focuses on investment opportunities and client relations in Korea. Minjun – a South Korean national who speaks fluent Japanese – has led the development of HarbourVest’s Korean investor base. His past experience includes Qatar Holding and Pantheon Capital (Asia).
· John Fiato, promoted to Principal, Boston. John is an integral member of the secondary investment team, both contributing to and leading multiple traditional and complex transactions. He also manages the closing process related to new secondary investments. John joined HarbourVest in 1994.
· Craig MacDonald, promoted to Principal, London. Craig joined HarbourVest’s direct investment team in Boston in 2005 before relocating to London in 2009. In his ten years with the firm, Craig played a pivotal role in multiple direct co-investments, including Alexander Forbes (AFH), Paris Re (PRE), Photobox, and Nordax (NDX). Craig’s prior experience includes Morgan Stanley.
· Nhora Otálora, promoted to Principal, Bogotá. Nhora is responsible for client relations across Latin America. She coordinates, monitors, and enhances relationships with new and existing Latin American investors and consultants. Nhora joined HarbourVest in 2012 from Bancoldex in Colombia.
· Bruce Pixler – CPA, promoted to Senior Vice President, Boston. Bruce is responsible for coordinating the global tax compliance function for all of the HarbourVest entities. Additionally, he leads the team’s tax diligence efforts – working closely with members of the investment teams and outside advisors to ensure that tax considerations are evaluated and appropriately addressed during the investment decision process.
· Kanji Takenaka, Promoted to Principal, Tokyo. Kanji Takenaka focuses on enhancing and building relationships with institutional investors and general partners in Japan. Additionally, Kanji’s role involves working directly with the primary fund, secondary, and direct co-investment teams on Japan-related transactions. Kanji Takenaka was previously with Simplex Real Estate Management and Fortress Investment Group.
HarbourVest is an independent, global private markets investment specialist with more than 30 years of experience and $37 billion in assets under management. The Firm’s powerful global platform offers clients investment opportunities through primary fund investments, secondary investments, and direct co-investments in co-mingled funds or separately managed accounts. HarbourVest has more than 300 employees, including 86 investment professionals, across Asia, Europe, and the Americas. This global team has committed more than $30 billion to newly-formed funds, completed over $13 billion in secondary purchases, and invested $5 billion directly in operating companies. Partnering with HarbourVest, clients have access to customized solutions, longstanding relationships, actionable insights, and proven results.
Correction: An earlier version of this item reported that HarbourVest promoted four staffers to principal; that information has been corrected and is reflected in the current news item.