NBGI Private Equity has appointed food and drinks industry veteran Tim Kelly as the second member of a panel of senior industry advisers. Kelly began his career with Unilever, before joining Coca-Cola Enterprises Europe. He was subsequently marketing director at Diageo plc in Ireland and president of Guinness Bass Import USA.
NBGI Private Equity (“NBGIPE”), a leading private equity investor focused on the UK lower mid-market, today announces the appointment of food and drinks industry veteran Tim Kelly as the second member of a panel of senior industry advisers.
NBGIPE, a private equity firm that typically invests in UK businesses of between £5m and £50m in enterprise value, earlier this month announced that it was increasing its strategic focus around three core sectors in which it has developed a strong track record: Support Services, Healthcare and Food Manufacturing. As part of this initiative, the firm made its first appointment as Senior Adviser – that of former Rentokil Initial senior executive Sandy Young.
Today, NBGIPE adds to this panel with the appointment of Tim Kelly, a leading figure in the Food & Drink industry. Kelly began his career with Unilever, before joining Coca-Cola Enterprises Europe. He was subsequently Marketing Director at Diageo plc in Ireland and President of Guinness Bass Import USA.
Most recently he has held the position of COO at Constellation Brands, a NYSE- listed wine and spirits company, and COO at Rank Hovis McDougall, where he was responsible for eight stand-alone business units with combined sales of £800m and 3,000 staff. He was part of the management team that lead the successful IPO of RHM, joining the Board of Premier Foods following its purchase of RHM in 2007. Currently Kelly serves as Non-Executive Director for DEFRA (AHDB Board) and for Burts Potato Chips, and is a senior advisor across the consumer and retail sector for KPMG.
NBGIPE’s Senior Advisory group will provide high-level strategic advice and in- depth industry knowledge. They will bring support across all investment activities from origination through to completion, covering strategic direction and advice on build-ups and as companies move towards exit. They will advise the investment team but not formally join the Boards of individual investee companies.
The recruitment of Kelly and Young will be followed by the appointment of a Senior Adviser in the Healthcare space, to be announced shortly.
To date, in the UK alone, NBGIPE’s past investments in the Food Manufacturing sector have included Brambles Foods, which exited on a 4.4x money multiple, while current portfolio companies include Peter’s Food Services, Pasta King and McCambridge Foods.
16 May 2013
Mark Owen, Founder Director at NBGIPE, commented:
“Support Services, Healthcare and Food Manufacturing are areas in which we have a strong competitive advantage and are able to deliver consistent, high-quality results. The creation of a panel of highly experienced Senior Advisers is a key element of our increased focus on these core sectors and we are delighted to welcome Tim to the team.”
Tim Kelly commented:
“Over the past decade and more, NBGIPE have delivered some exceptional results in the Food & Drink sector and it is a privilege to be joining the team. I look forward to playing an active role in the firm’s current and future investments, and look forward to helping to deliver on the many opportunities in this space.”
-ENDS- For further information please contact:
NBGI Private Equity
Mark Owen +44 (0)20 7661 5678
Equus Communications (for NBGIPE)
Piers Hooper / Sam Barton Sam.Barton@EquusGroup.co.uk +44 (0)207 223 1100
NOTES TO EDITORS NBGI Private Equity (www.nbgipe.co.uk)
• NBGI Private Equity (“NBGIPE”) launched in June 2000 with a particular focus on investments in established businesses in the UK or Ireland;
• NBGIPE typically invests in businesses of £5m to £50m in value. It invests in established businesses alongside strong management teams, supporting their business development plans and providing additional funding where needed for both organic growth and acquisitions.
• NBGIPE invests across a range of sectors, but has a clear focus on three specific industries in which it boasts a strong track record of success: support services, healthcare and food manufacturing;NBGIPE deploys its capital in a variety of investment structures including management buy-outs, management buy-ins, growth capital and turnarounds;
• In total NBGIPE manages approximately €900million across a number of funds in the UK, Western Europe and Emerging Europe;
• The NBGIPE investment team is deliberately top heavy and most have managerial experience in industry prior to their extensive experience in private equity. Their approach is commercial, focusing on the key business issues to ensure a rapid response to investment opportunities and an efficient process through to completion. The company’s Investment Committee comprises its four executive directors, allowing it to deliver promptly on key decisions; and
• NBGIPE sees its role as a partnership with its investee companies, to back up and add to the judgment of management with its strength of resources, both human and financial.
NBGI Private Equity Limited is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.