Some links to kick off your Wednesday:
* The number of PE-backed companies in receivership rose by nearly 50% last year.
* If you’re looking for the best-performing markets, buy a plane ticket for Pakistan, Chile or Peru.
* Fred Wilson on uncertainty, including how he once thought Industry Standard would make his fund more money than Mercado Libre.
* There were lots of biz blog pranks yesterday, and VentureBeat lists its Top Five. I narcisistically nominate one more.
* Virgin is in talks for some sort of deal with Dubai International Capital.