Some links to kick off your Monday:
* Venture capital icon John Doerr says that not enough money is being invested in the cleantech sector.
* Goldman Sachs is taking a huge haircut on debt related to Bain Capital’s €1.4 billion buyout of European yachtmaker Bavaria Yachtbau.
* Before JPMorgan stepped in to save Bear, there was an offer from J.C. Flowers & Co. But, like most J.C. Flowers offers of late, it didn’t come to pass.
* The Economist suggests that private equity may be successful at helping to ease the credit crunch. I’m pretty sure someone else recently wrote that as well… Kind of reminds me of an old Homer Simpson line about alcohol, which I will now alter: “Private Equity: The cause of – and solution to – all of life’s problems.”
* Steve Hodson (correctly) says that advertising for bloggers has to change.
* George Soros believes that we’re in the midst of the worst financial crisis of his lifetime. Gloomy, gloomy, gloomy.
* CBS Interactive is opening a Menlo Park office.
* Buyout fundraising slows in Q1, but mezzanine fundraising soars (sub req.).
* VC fundraising takes a Q1 hit: VCFundraising.pdf
* Mike Maples is raising another one-man VC fund, according to PE Week (sub req.)