* CalPERS has bought a stake in Silver Lake.
* Is Clear Channel going to become the next busted buyout?
* MFG.com, a global B2B marketplace for the manufacturing community, announced this morning that it’s raised $26 million in new funding. Fidelity Ventures and Fidelity Asia Ventures co-led the round. TechCrunch reports that MFG founder Mitch Free likes to promote his company by slamming Alibaba.com, the B2B marketplace for suppliers that completed a massive IPO last year. But the message I got yesterday from Larry Cheng at Fidelity was that MFG is a “comperable and similar play to Alibaba.” And Cheng should know, as Fidelity also was an early Alibaba investor (plus holds positions in B2B marketplaces Prosper and New Orleans Exchange).
* Blackstone and Fortress shares dive on analyst downgrades.
* Fred Wilson deciding what to say to a roomful of CTOs.
* Jeff Nolan has 9 VCs you’re going to want to avoid.