Swander Pace Capital has launched Clarion to buy six OTC brands from DSE Healthcare Solutions. No financial terms were disclosed. Included in the transaction are Lipo-Flavonoid, which treats ringing in the ears and Cystex, a urinary pain reliever.
San Francisco and New York (November 10, 2014) – Swander Pace Capital, a leading private equity firm specializing in investments in consumer products companies, has formed Clarion Brands Holding Corporation (Clarion), to acquire a portfolio of six niche over-the-counter (OTC) brands from DSE Healthcare Solutions, LLC. The portfolio includes leading brands built by strong levels of professional recommendations which have demonstrated excellent growth potential. The brands Lipo-Flavonoid®, Certain Dri®, Cystex®, Albolene, Absorbine Jr.®, and Anti-Monkey Butt, are sold in food, drug, and mass retailers throughout the U.S. and Canada. Clarion Brands represents Swander Pace’s third platform investment in the OTC industry. No financial terms were released.
· Lipo-Flavonoid is the #1 ear-nose-throat doctor-recommended treatment for tinnitus, or ringing in the ears.*
· Certain Dri is the #1 doctor-recommended treatment for controlling excessive underarm sweating, or hyperhidrosis.*
· Cystex is the #2 urinary pain reliever that helps women manage the pain and discomfort of urinary tract infections.*
· Albolene is a moisturizing makeup remover that cleanses mascara and lipstick.
· Absorbine Jr. is a topical pain reliever made from menthol and natural herbal extracts.
· Anti-Monkey Butt is a powder that absorbs excess sweat and minimizes frictional skin discomfort associated with chaffing and rashes.
“We are excited to add these OTC brands to the newly formed Clarion Brands Holding Co. and believe there is significant opportunity to capitalize on the brands’ momentum and drive continued growth,” said Mo Stout, Managing Director at Swander Pace. “We have deep experience in the OTC and personal care industry and feel we are in an ideal position to assist the management team in investing in brand development, driving cost improvements, and expanding distribution. With a combination of best-in-class brands and our experience in growing consumer products companies, we look forward to building Clarion into a leader in the OTC category.”
Kirkland & Ellis LLP served as legal adviser to Swander Pace on the acquisition.
* According to the latest IRI data
About Swander Pace Capital
Swander Pace Capital is a leading private equity firm specializing in investments in growth-oriented, middle-market consumer products companies in North America and the United Kingdom. Since its inception in 1996, Swander Pace Capital has applied its consumer products expertise pursuing a consistent strategy of acquiring or investing in consumer products companies with leading market positions in attractive, defensible niches. With staff in San Francisco, New Jersey, and Ontario (Toronto), Swander Pace Capital provides portfolio companies with a unique mix of financial and strategic consulting support to create long-term value. Swander Pace Capital has raised over $1.3 billion of equity capital through five private equity funds and has led successful investments in more than 40 consumer products companies with total revenues in excess of $2.0 billion. For more information, visit www.spcap.com.